Just Communicate, dammit! Part 1



I consider myself quite proficient at communicating, particularly during an argument.

This might not seem like the most appropriate thing to be proud of, but let me explain.

I was having a chat with my co-hosts about women in relationships and how, for the most part, they just don’t know how to have a healthy argument.  They don’t speak their minds, for a start.   

How many guys reading this have asked their girl what’s wrong and got a restrained ‘Nothing!’ as a reply, only to have her read you the riot act hours later?

Here’s the thing, ladies.

Men aren’t mind readers.

He might have seriously pissed you off, for whatever reason.  Maybe you had a bad day at work.  Maybe your hormones are doing ekitaguriro and your whole system just feels off.  Maybe that last episode of Being Mary Jane got you riled up because you hate the way David keeps wrecking her head.  

Then your man goes and says or does something so stupid you literally feel your blood boil.  If you don’t tell him, HE WON’T KNOW.  If he asks you what’s wrong, and you try to act like everything is ok, he’s just going to roll over and go to sleep, or go back to flicking channels and staring blankly at the TV.  

(Incidentally, what IS it with men and the bloody remote?  All that channel-flicking drives me insane.  But I digress).  

So he has gone back to scratching his balls or whatever it is he was doing when he stopped to ask you what’s up, and you sit there fuming that he hasn’t worked out why you’re pissed off.  And instead of telling him what’s wrong and sorting it out once and for all, you sulk, and refuse to give up the cookie later on that night.  And what have you solved?   

Nothing.   

All you have gained is an extra ulcer, and possibly a penis-shaped indentation in the small of your back.

Personally, I prefer to say exactly what is bugging me, when it is bugging me.  It doesn’t always end well, but at least I don’t end up with stomach ulcers because I’ve been stewing over the issue and trying to act like everything is hunky-dory.  And once I’ve told you, that’s it.  No need to drag it up again.  

Just communicate, dammit.  It’s easier in the long run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Rosemary

Untitled (or, my experience in a toxic work environment.)

Stay Out of My Womb, Stay Out of My Business.