I accepted a long time ago that I am not good with New Year Resolutions, and made up my mind not to stress come December 31st simply because I hadn’t drawn-up a list as long as my arm with all the ‘new year, new me’ items. Instead, I settled for Half-Year Resolutions- let’s see how the year goes and I’ll make them up as I go along.
Things changed at the end of 2014 though. It had been a bad year, and I just wanted it to end so that I could make a fresh start. I did however, make up my mind that, every single day going forward, I was going to find something to be grateful for. No matter how big, no matter how small. Whether I was having a good day, or one of those all-too-familiar, I-am-tired-of-smiling-and-putting-a-face-on-it-I-really-just-want-to-curl-up-in-a-dark-room-and-listen-to-David-Gray days.
And so far, half-way through March, I am proud to say that I have stuck to it. Every single day this year, I have not so much counted my blessings, because they are so many, but I have taken a moment to say, I am blessed. I am thankful.
You should try it. It really is quite helpful and can brighten the dullest day. For example, I felt myself sinking into a bit of a funk this morning, and all I had to do was Google Image a baby hedgehog. Instant happiness, and instant gratitude for Google and the office internet connection behaving at the precise moment I needed it to.
So here’s a list of the things I’m grateful for today.
· My Mum is alive and well and funny and understanding and yes she stresses me sometimes but I wouldn’t change a thing.
· My siblings are easily my favourite people in the world and I am never, EVER bored when hanging out with them.
· I have a job which I love and yes it stresses me sometimes but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
· My dude is an absolute babe and awesome person and yes he stresses me sometimes but he will learn how to stop doing so. Ha.
· My co-workers, for the most part, smell fresh.
· There are pictures of baby hedgehogs on the internet.
· Oh yes, I have a roof over my head and my hilarious brother is my housemate.
· Red wine.
· Old friends that you don’t see for ages and then you do and it’s like you met up just yesterday.
· The recent water shortage bypassed my hood and I was able to wash off the sweat brought on by the current heatwave.
That’s about it for now. I could go on for much longer, but that job I’m so grateful for won’t do itself. So I better get on with it.