Untitled (or, my experience in a toxic work environment.)

I’ve been feeling guilty for the longest time that I haven’t posted on my blog for AGES: I even started questioning whether I could legitimately call it a blog anymore, considering how long it had been since I was inspired to write anything worth sharing.

But I woke up yesterday and came across an article detailing a toxic work environment and when I tell you I was TRIGGERED. I know that word is used so often these days, but some of the instances described in that article catapulted me back to a situation I found myself in, that I haven’t felt able to speak about publicly.

Until now.

I consider myself extremely blessed to have worked in different positions where I was able to pursue my passions and dedicate my talents, all the while working with incredible people and learning from the best in the business.

I was transferred from a job I loved, and thought I was performing well at (if my performance reviews were anything to go by, anyway). I didn’t understand why I was being moved at the time, although it eventually became clear to me (and was confirmed by those in the know) that I was being punished for someone else’s mistake. Despite some apprehension on my part, I accepted the transfer, and prepared to dedicate myself to my new role with my usual enthusiasm and hard work.

My role was not only new to me: it was new to the company. This came with pros and cons- I was essentially working with a clean slate and was helping set up the role, which was exciting. The downside is that some of the responsibilities were not clear. I’ll come back to that later.

I dived into my new role, ready to learn and ready to apply myself.

But about one month in, things started to go downhill.

I would be assigned tasks that were clearly not within the job description I had been given. As someone who is a stickler for detail (ok, I’m a perfectionist), this was hard to swallow because I KNOW that I can deliver. I live for it.

I would be belittled in meetings for not following up on issues that were either not in my docket, or completely out of my sphere of control. Please note, this wasn’t just during working hours- I remember getting calls or messages up to 10pm on occasion. I soon learned to switch off my phone between the hours of 8pm to 6am, or at least switching off my data, because it just became too much.

But I had no idea that things were about to get unbearable.

At the time, I didn’t know that I wasn’t the only one going through it. Unfortunately, due to some crazy stupid misunderstanding, I had fallen out with a colleague who was actually a friend. We worked together, but barely spoke anymore. This only worsened the atmosphere in the office, which was already tense. As colleagues, we were discouraged from talking to each other in the office, because this was seen as “gossiping”. Considering the fact that this used to be a lively, fun department, it was always a shock to walk in and find the place silent, everyone sat silently at their desks, murmuring “good morning” to each other as we walked in. Eventually I would hear stories about, and witness, colleagues being reduced to tears. I witnessed many people becoming shells of their former selves. It was devastating.

Two months in. At this point, I was seriously doubting my abilities to do this job. I would dread meetings, wondering if I was going to be blasted for something I had done, or not done. I dreaded watching my colleagues being humiliated in the same meetings. I would submit work as requested, only for it to be returned with no indication of what was wrong with it, just that it wasn’t satisfactory. I would be asked for reports, which would be submitted, only to be ignored. And then asked for AGAIN, days later. “Frustrating” doesn’t even cover it.

I remember one instance when I could not attend an event because my mother was scheduled for surgery that weekend. I had communicated officially that I would not be able to be part of the event, and why. I fulfilled the tasks assigned to me leading up to the event. I had been asked to MC at the event and explained that I would not be able to. I remember an email being sent to my supervisor, essentially requesting that I be “convinced” to do so. As if I was being deliberately stubborn, not that I wanted to be able to help look after my mother after her surgery.

The result? Silent treatment from my supervisor. “Non-team players” called out in emails and post-event meetings and Whatsapp groups. I must admit I initially laughed it off, because this wasn’t high school, for goodness sake.

It got to the point where I would look forward to meetings in other departments because the atmosphere in the office was just toxic. Anything to just get out of there.

One day, after a particularly disastrous meeting, I went back to my desk and drafted a resignation letter. I also messaged my colleague-friend and explained what was going on. The upside of that is we ironed out our issues and became even closer. When I tell you the WEIGHT lifted by that conversation! I wasn’t alone in this mess anymore and I had someone I could confide in, who could see exactly what was going on and was going through much of the same thing. This wasn’t all in my head.

I submitted my resignation and went home. The next day I was summoned to my supervisor’s office. I was asked why I resigned, was assured that issues would be resolved and that my resignation was not accepted.

I continued to work, hoping that things would get better. Silly me.

I began to get physically ill. At the time, I thought there was something else wrong with me.  I was not sleeping. Every morning before going to work, I would either have a running stomach, or would be violently sick. Every. Day. My skin was a mess. I barely had any appetite. I didn’t know at the time that I was going through major anxiety- it’s only relatively recently that I have been able to identify that whatever I was going through was manifesting physically.

I had started looking into other job opportunities, because I knew that something had to give. Every morning, I would tweet affirmations, which many people appreciated. And I’m glad that they did. What people didn’t know is that, initially, I was doing it for myself. I needed those affirmations and positive words. I needed someone to say those words TO ME. Because I had no other way of keeping one foot in front of the other. I literally felt myself breaking from the inside out.

Then I was knocked sideways by malaria. I remember working through it for a day. One morning I got up to get ready for work, and almost blacked out in the bathroom. Instead of thinking, shit, something is seriously wrong with me, all I could think was, “I can’t miss today’s meeting because I just do not want to deal with the backlash.”

But my body refused to cooperate. I messaged my supervisor and explained I could not make it to work. That was at around 7.30am. After that communication, I lay down and did not get up again until 3pm, when I forced myself up and went to the doctor. Who told me that I had a really bad case of malaria and if it had reached my brain it could have been fatal.

You know how messed up this is? Throughout the three days of injections twice daily (ugh, I hate needles), the fever dreams, the nausea, the sweats, that horrible malaria smell that was seeping out of my pores- much as I was glad I didn’t have to step into that office, I was in a constant panic every time my phone rang, or a work email came through. Wave of nausea upon wave of nausea.

I remember one particular dream. I was talking to my Dad. And he asked me, “Little One. What are you doing? This isn’t you.” It was one of the few dreams I’d had about my Dad when I didn’t wake up crying.

Once I was better and back at work, I had made up my mind. I had to leave. As the song goes, “I can’t come and kill myself”.

I finally resigned. No turning back.

And you know what happened? My skin cleared. My stomach settled. My appetite came back. My final month was blissful (by comparison. Ha). I worked, submitted everything I was asked to, even though some of the things were pointless because whoever was going to get the job after me was going to have to deal with things that were beyond my control. I had to draft plans for tasks that were going to be carried out when I was long gone. Some of my colleagues asked why I was bothering. I was just determined not to give any opportunity for my reputation to be trashed. Did the schnide comments stop? No. My supervisor even commented that I was glowing, now that I knew I was leaving.

That was true.

Please note, I didn’t take this decision lightly. And no, I haven’t put down everything that happened, because some of the things I witnessed are not for me to tell. And no, I do not recommend doing what I did, if you are reading this and find yourself in a similar situation. What I DO recommend, is the following:


1. Listen to your body: I should have done this from the beginning. Right from that weird feeling in my belly when I was moved. To when my skin started breaking out, to when I couldn’t hold anything in or down, to when malaria hammered me. I really think we don’t fully appreciate how much our mental and emotional state can affect us physically.

2. Find your happy place: I know I say this often and it may sound trivial. But it worked for me. I listened to music CONSTANTLY. Well, as often as possible, anyway. People teased me that I always had my earphones in and I’d be like “damn straight.” There was an external project I was working on with some friends which kept me going and gave me something to look forward to. And of course as much as possible, I tried to make my home a haven so once I left work, I could leave as much of the bullshit behind as possible. Apart from the calls and emails I’d get haha.

3. Talk to someone: I did speak to senior management about challenges I was having with the work atmosphere and so on. I guess there wasn’t much that could be done (shrugs). It didn’t help, but I did speak up. I’m also glad that I sorted out my issues with my friend: knowing that there was someone who could see what was happening really helped. My family was also aware of what was going on. If you are suffering in a toxic environment, please do not keep it to yourself. It is very easy to get into your own head and convince yourself that what is happening is either you being too sensitive or imagining things. Speaking of which...

4. Fight the gaslighting: “Don’t be so sensitive.” “That’s not what happened.” “You are just not open to change.” “If you can’t handle it, just leave.” NO. I don’t care what job it is, how much you are earning, whatever prestige comes along with the position, by the time you are dreading going to work every single day, despite putting in the hours and working your butt off, there is a problem. Do not ignore it. How on earth are you supposed to perform at your best in an atmosphere that is breaking you down bit by bit? Protect your mental health at all costs.

5. Explore your options: Those were different times, of course. The world wasn’t in the grip of a pandemic, with companies slashing salaries and laying people off. But take time to truly and honestly self-evaluate. What else can you do? What other skills do you possess? What can you do with the networks you have built?


Please understand, I’m not speaking in any kind of professional capacity. I am simply telling you what I went through in the hope that if you or anyone you know finds themselves in a similar situation, you know that you are not alone, and it is not the end of the world. I know many people deal with far worse than this, and this is in no way a sob story. I guess it’s just my way of reminding you that not all that glitters is gold, and you never truly know what a person is going through. I also hope that any employers reading this will learn a thing or two. If someone’s performance suddenly dips for no reason, or a previously successful team seems not to be performing, there are deeper questions that need to be asked. The fish rots from the head.

Is there a silver lining? Always! My health improved. My friendship is back on track. And I had no idea how many people wanted to work with me! I was terrified when I left: unemployment is scary! But I had to step out on faith: faith in myself and my capabilities and what I bring to the table. And once that door closed, many others opened.

Trust yourself. LOOK AFTER YOURSELF. Drink water, mind your business, and don’t let the bastards get you down.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. Supervisors can be evil for lack of a better word many times I ask self how someone is able to go back and sleep knowing that they did something intentionally to hurt another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece Sima and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. This is an inspiring read! The recommendations are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written. My motto now is - if something takes your peace then it's too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went through something like that when I was straight of campus. Can you believe I even missed my graduation because of the job?! Glad I quit before it had gotten to my health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very relatable..made me teary as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about what you went through. Thanks for sharing. Hope this can help many people get out while they are still ahead. Blessings for the journey ahead. Hope to see some more blog posts. 👏 👏 👏

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh! This is reading for EVERYBODY - especially our children! A lot of this behaviour is totally unacceptable and must be fought and then stopped outright. Good blogpost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My life everyday. I see you Siima.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thanks Siima for sharing this. True, I have been in a similar place. I wasn't looking forward to going to work anymore, I was always panicking over so many things at work, I got a terrible break out and the moment I left, I found peace and my skin was restored soon after leaving that place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. can really relate thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your story broke my heart because I've been right where you were... sitting in my car in tears every morning... praying for God's protection...dreading going into the office. The anxiety attacks... the self doubt... the exhausted body and soul.

    And then you leave the toxic environment and all of a sudden you can breathe...


    I pray for those... who still can't breathe. Please find a way to leave that toxicity. Our mental health is way too important.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like all toxicity at workplace is moreless similar, why is this so "most of our experience"?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are strong. And now you have made so many of us even stronger. Thank you. My take home from this is ...there's always a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finally quit my job that had literally drained the life out of me. The same kinda happened to me, a new position at an organization. So people kind of dont understand what you're exactly supposed to do. Then a boss that bullies. Meetings were a night mare.There was a cloud of depression at the workplace. But I quit and damn, I feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So relatable. Quit my job sometime and no one could understand why😥 coz apparently finding employment is hard. But I got my PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  17. That workplace anhaaa......let me keep drinking water.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Siima for sharing. Peace of mind is really underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks❤, oh! I feel beaten but anyways. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW 👏👏👏👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very familiar storyline. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember being dragged back to office once on my sick leave at one place I worked at, they threatened to fire me if I didn't show up, carnula in hand, heavily medicated, stitches and all. I had notified them about a planned medical operation the week before - 2 days after it, my phone was blowing up, I was summoned to office, just coz some one wanted proof I was really too sick to work - for years I never took leave,there was always a reason, an event, an urgent assignment, everyone else took leave even the new employees easily got granted leave, I was burnt out & exhausted - I always wondered why it was hard for me to get my requests approved, they had no problem dumping other people's work on my desk when they went on leave or walked out on the company unexpectedly. My work load was always bigger and my pay way less, every year there was some reason for why I wasn't getting a raise. After that incident i realized my mental health needed to be prioritized. Accountant even had the audacity to cut my final month salary just for just, I had worked a full month, even trained my replacement, did a proper handover to protect my reputation, but I couldn't careless about the money, every bit of my being wanted to be out of there. It was scary but I felt better after sending that resignation, that was right after a meeting where I was blamed and scolded Infront of the whole team for the failure of a project/assignment that wasn't even mine to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry 😭😭😭 ugandan employment 😒🤦

      Delete
    2. Damn!this was really mean!

      Delete
  23. Thank you for sharing this Siima!🤝

    ReplyDelete
  24. Touché Touché Touché
    Thank you for these amazing words, they spoke a lot to me

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing siima 80% or even more are going through this I personally I been there and the moment I realised I deserve better and my mental health matters than Anything...that must hv been my last step at that workplace. I feel much better with No regrets .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Toxic places are damaging. Am glad you made that final decision Siima, for your own sanity and serenity! Sending you lots of love and light! Arnold Serano

    ReplyDelete
  27. Danze here. This was me in 2017 when I left my job. I had a resignation letter on my mail for over 6 months. just waiting for the day "I'd get a better offer" until I couldn't anymore and simply hit SEND.

    Btw. 😂 that part of running stomach sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The skin breaking part is very true. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing. I would wake up to a notification from you every morning to hydrate. I had no idea you were dealing with all this😑

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can relate. When you leave, things are not easy but at the end of the day, you can not deliver in a toxic work environment. you end up developing new wired traits and becoming toxic yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sima Sima, I have been going through a similar situation only that mine is yet to end. Am a graduate teacher of English and Literature.I served at my former school towards my graduation in 2016 up to my "firing date''. My results were worth mentioning. At the time of my exit, the institution was ranked 91st in the country in Literature beating so many 'big' schools.
    I fell out with my Deputy Head teacher when he assigned me a duty to head production of the school magazine. The perfectionist youngster in me did the project justice. My head teacher suggested that I use my own money for the project, do proper records and he we'd pay me at once. On my back, the deputy asked the publisher for kick back.He paid them 1.5M. The project became a success. I had negotiated that the school buys a copy at 8k and sell it to students at 10k. With 1300 copies, the school made 1.6M in profits! My turn to requisition my allawances and total expenses came. I summed just sh500,000 for photography (drone camera and still photos) transport refund and allowance.
    My Boss blantantly told me that I can only get shs 150k. I tried to explain in vain. I rejected the 150k and that was daring the devil.
    The boss called me names in staffroom weekly meetings and the end of yert meeting will always stick in my head. He labled me an insolet terrorist and couldn't wait to throw jabs at my religion.
    A day to opening of a new term 2020, I saw his call. It was just for 37 seconds and on point. I had no job because of the new curriculum.
    These guys that supervise us are heartless. Everyone I remember this, it breaks my heart

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing Siima. I am glad the story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I relate!!!!! We've exchanged names and bodies in this blog. I so relate. Oh my!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was meant for me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so heart breaking and mind awakening. and at least I've tested bit of unfair management. Thank You for sharing Siima!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Eish, well, good thing you made it out sane and in one piece. so now you can inspire others to help themselves

    we should chase a chicken soon.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  37. Aaaahhhhh....the things we go through!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice piece!! Indeed emotional health is very important for one to deliver at work

    ReplyDelete
  39. Why does this sound so familiar(face palm)
    Thank you for speaking out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I appreciate you and the strength that it must have taken to write this. You have no idea how much relief and clarity it has given Soo many whose emotions are written off thatbthat they are ungrateful for the jobs they have.

    Mental sanity is more important, thank you for sharing this.You are awesome, I just wanted to remind you of that.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I do not normally read blogs and finish them but this one got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I felt this read so hard!! I'm sorry you were going through that, honestly it didn't even show, you looked flawless err freakin day!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow! But one thing l know you used to mind your business and learned it from you, people even started saying am proud and always said Hi whenever met you especially on printing machine. It's good speak always,

    ReplyDelete
  44. i know about the phone call panics, staying over time to appease the supervisor, a client yelling at you in a meeting, dreading the Sunday night after you worked all weekend, sitting by your desk contemplating resignation yet in that moment you somehow cant, but once you gain the strength, its such a redemption moment. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's true some people are heartless.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for this. I always lived for those daily morning affirmations. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is a great read.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow,you see, I have witnessed such happening to my fellow employees and I asked my self if it's because of the gender, actually the female have gone through more than that and we the male witness it but many have no platform to expose all that. Personally I decided to write down a story like a documentary that I gat dreams for even publishing it, even into a movie like. With this being told, justice for our female will one day be achieved beyond personal healing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is an uplifting read. Thanks for penning it. I wish many people could read. Although I feel you left me in suspense as a reader. How does your story end? Did you get a good job after this sad ordeal? Are you in a better working environment now? Or you turned to entrepreneurship? Or Am I asking rather personal/ private questions?

    ReplyDelete
  50. The problem is that when you raise such issues, colleagues sell us a lie that "you are lazy. You are not working hard enough. You don't take your job seriously.You are a cry baby"-(Even when you genuinely feel you are doing your best) But a toxic working environment is toxic. There is no way to sugarcoat it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. what a piece! There is nothing as bad as a toxic work environment OMG! I always had a flawless skin till i took up a job that was stress as the word itself. I started losing weight, getting funny rashes, spending money in skin clinics till i could not anymore. A friend told me it was stress but i did not believe her...the day i decided to put all the worries en work stress behind me was the day i realized its better to earn less and have peace than take millions and spend your life miserable! Such work places and those supervisors who forget their titles are temporal can make you doubt your abilities, beat yourself up for things you have no control over sometimes caused by them, make you hate everyone around you... Its the worst! I have enjoyed this Blog i must confess..

    ReplyDelete
  52. Life can be amazing when you're true to your own self

    ReplyDelete
  53. Its important for us to recognise toxic behaviour & not feel like we are the ones failing to deliver

    ReplyDelete
  54. It’s obvious some patients with herpes are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr james Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was cured from genital Herpes. All thanks to  this Great herbalist for healing me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr James herbal mix. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on mail [Drjamesherbalmixgmail.com] He got medicine for diseases like  Alzheimer's virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts, ALS, BV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Rosemary

Stay Out of My Womb, Stay Out of My Business.