Down With Love Songs.

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.

That's the opening line to Silly Love Songs by Wings, one of my all-time favourites.

Apart from the fact that I love the melody, it is such a true statement!

Love songs are responsible for too much heartache and longing in this world.

I've written about them before (see Don't Take That Love Song Literally), so I won't ramble on too much here.

I grew up listening to music.  Music with themes far beyond my years, describing experiences I had no business singing about.

I remember the days when I'd be listening to a song about missing the one you love, or having your heart broken.  And I would long to have someone to miss, or someone to love, or someone to break my heart so that I could actually fully empathise with the pain in the singer's voice. 

In those days, my closest experience to a boy expressing even minor interest in me was that shitty kid at school who would trip me up at every opportunity and ping my training-bra strap through my school uniform.  I know now that was his childish way of telling me he liked me.

Idiot.

Anyway, adulthood comes along.  Relationships.  You fall in love, finally.  That song makes sense now.  You miss your person.  NOW you get it.  You get your heart broken and believe that they wrote that song especially for you.

Then there are times you hear those songs and you get pissed off.  Because now you have everything your pre-pubescent heart longed for, but find yourself in a perpetual state of it's-a-quarter-to-fuck-this-shit-o'clock.

You really can't win.

Ah well.

Back to the music. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Rosemary

Untitled (or, my experience in a toxic work environment.)

Stay Out of My Womb, Stay Out of My Business.