Untitled (or, Tumbling Down the Rabbit Hole of Culture and Biodiversity).

 A few days ago, I joined a group of pretty cool people to learn more about the work National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) does when it comes to protecting and preserving

Uganda’s biodiversity. I was super excited because, ROAD TRIP! Also, I knew I was guaranteed a fun time with this crew.


                       <l-r Telma, Laura, Lilian, Uncle Mo, The Mith, Me, Kwizera and Edward>**


We were off to visit the Kalagala-Itanda Offset (no relation to the rapper), which was recently declared a Special Conservation Area. This means that it shall be protected and conserved as

a natural habitat and water catchment for the Nile system to provide environmental, ecological, social, spiritual, cultural and economic values. 



Kalagala-Itanda Offset*                                       


Of all the values mentioned, the environmental, ecological, economic and even social values were all pretty obvious to me. But I had never given the spiritual and cultural values much thought, until this trip.

Now I’m low-key obsessed. First come and I tell you.


"Come forth and I tell you things."**



When we finally arrived at Kalagala Falls, we met NEMA Executive Director Dr Tom Okurut, who generously took us on a brief tour, dropping pearls of wisdom and

deep knowledge the whole time. One of my favourites of all the things he said is that humans have to learn how to live in harmony with nature, not the other way round. “Remember, humans came here last.” 


We were in class, for real.**


Before I could make it to the rocks where everyone was taking pictures, my eyes were drawn to a tree trunk, draped in what looked like a white sheet. At the foot of the tree was a gourd, a clay pot

with what looked like solidified coconut oil and a bowl with coffee beans and shells. 


I just had so many questions...

When we crossed to another part of the falls, we came across a couple of guys who were guarding a fire. One of them explained that the fire has to be maintained 24/7. People come to the fire,

make their requests to the ancestors, then leave coins/coffee beans as offerings. I couldn’t get a picture, but here’s one of Kwizera in a canoe.


Row, row, row your boat...


I’m just so fascinated with the link between spirituality and protecting the environment.


The trees and water are revered. These guys protect the trees and the water. They understand the benefits of looking after the environment in which they live. Compare that with our towns and cities

where trees are constantly cut down and rubbish disposed of carelessly. We completely ignore the benefits of doing the right thing.


It's that simple. But do we listen?


This trip really got me thinking about how much of our cultures are tied to the environment, to nature. From dances mimicking animals, to superstitions (owls, anyone?), to our totems. What’s your totem,

by the way? Do you know?


I’ve fallen down a fascinating rabbit hole and I’m looking forward to finding out more, not only about how our culture is so closely tied to nature but also the role I can play to #BePartofTheSolution and protect

Uganda’s biodiversity. Join me. And enjoy this video of us in the canoe. 


Good vibes just.




#BiodiversityUG #BePartOfTheSolution #Uganda #CulturalTourism #Kalagala #MyUganda

📸     *@HiRolla256

          ** @LNFUndisputed 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Rosemary

Untitled (or, my experience in a toxic work environment.)

Stay Out of My Womb, Stay Out of My Business.